Friday, March 23, 2012

All A-BUZZ About Bees!

We were busy bees today!  We started by reading this book by Melvin Berger.

Then we read this WONDERFUL book that I found at Barnes and Noble (my favorite place in the whole, wide, world!!!)  If you do not own this book and you will be talking about bees you HAVE to go get it....NOW!  It was soooo informative!  It talks about how the bees that stay in the hive have to beg for nectar from the forager bees.  They do this by tapping their antennae on that of the forager bees...that is how they beg.  So I had the kids turn to a partner and model this!  They had sooo much fun with this book....it was GREAT!

We made a chart with all of or new found info!

Then we made a bee....of course!

We compared bees with ants.

This is how our mural outside of our classroom is taking shape!  I just left my old pecan tree from our Texas unit and a few bluebonnets!
Have a great weekend! 
Next up.....dragonflies!

3 comments:

  1. I totally love your anchor chart and Venn diagram!

    Angela
    The Daily Alphabet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your display looks great! I love this big book also! Do you have for sell the bee pattern and the ant pattern?
    Thanks so much for the wonderful chart to see!
    Take care and can't wait for the dragonflies!!
    Have a good weekend !
    Maryann
    brennemm@carlisleschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great ideas for an insect unit. We started ours last week and are continuing it next week. Thanks for the ideas.
    I'm a new follower. I would love it if you would check out my blog.
    Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete